Mon, Jan 30|
5 Day FTO Hosted by Reading MA PD
This dynamic training is based on the nationally accepted and accredited San Jose Program. Instructors: Lt. Joseph Thibodeau, North Reading PD and Capt. John Newton (Ret.) Greenfield PD Class description below.
Time & Location
Jan 30, 2023, 8:30 AM – Feb 03, 2023, 4:00 PM
Reading, 15 Union St, Reading, MA 01867, USA
About the Training
This 5 Day Field Training Officer Class is based on the original San Jose FTO Program. It is CALEA and MPAC Accreditation compliant. It is designed for Veteran Officers to teach them how to develop their leadership skills necessary to effectively train and properly evaluate today's new recruit officers or lateral transfers in preparation for their solo patrol duty.
Officers attending will learn:
- Their roles and responsibilities as quasi-supervisors in the FTO Program.
- Ways to tailor their department’s program to fit their department’s own needs.
- Different teaching methods and styles to include “Facilitated Learning Techniques” and the “A.L.A.” Teaching method developed by JET Public Safety Training Different.
- "Adult Learning" styles and how to apply them to this generation.
- Practice completing Daily Observation Reports (DORs) and learn how to consistently evaluate, grade and document their trainee’s performance using Standardized Evaluation Guidelines (SEGs), ”tips and tricks” and formulas developed by JET Public Safety Training.
- How to recognize and deal with trainee’s who are struggling or need additional remedial training.
- How to manage potential liability issues in training new officers to include De-escalation” and “A duty to intervene.
Officers will leave with confidence and an extensive knowledge, resources and a comprehensive Field Training Officer Manual to guide them through the FTO Program. Officers who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate of completion. Officers must complete all 5 days of training.
Lt. Joseph Thibodeau is currently in his 33rd year of Law Enforcement. Joe is a level IV FTO Coordinator/lead Instructor and a Level IV Report Writing Instructor/Coordinator for the MA Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC). He has been instructing at numerous police academies and privately since 2000. He has trained thousands of reserve, recruit and veteran officers as well as supervisors in numerous disciplines to include FTO, Report Writing, Suicide Prevention, Arrest and Processing and Communication. He is considered a subject matter expert in FTO and Report Writing.
Capt. John Newton (Ret.) is a 32-year veteran of Massachusetts municipal policing retiring from the Greenfield PD. John is a Level IV Instructor Development trainer, serving on the MA Statewide Instructor Development Steering Committee since 2010. He is also a Level IV FTO instructor having taught in this topic area for the MPTC since 2003. Newton has been an adjunct trainer and curriculum developer for the MPTC in myriad subject areas since 1987. After retiring, John spent 4 years as a full-time Associate Professor of Criminal Justice with Odessa College in West Texas and continues to instruct online courses for them. He maintains a certification through the IADLEST as a Nationally Certified Instructor.
For more information or any questions email us at info@JETPST.com or call 978-494-0930
# People Attending
5 Day Field Training Officer
5 Day FTO Class is based on the original San Jose FTO Program. It is CALEA and MAPC Accreditation compliant. Designed for Veteran Officers to teach them how to develop the skills necessary to effectively teach and properly evaluate their trainee in preparation for their solo patrol duty.$475.00