Thu, May 18|
Andover MA Police Department
Body Camera Report Writing
This unique 1 day Report Writing class is designed for agencies that are using or will be using Body Cameras and how to incorporate them in police reports.
Time & Location
May 18, 2023, 8:30 AM – 3:00 PM
Andover MA Police Department, 32 N Main St, Andover, MA 01810, USA
About the Training
This Body Camera Report Writing Class is designed for agencies that are using or will soon be using body cameras.
The purpose of a police report is to make the best, most factually accurate record of what happened in an incident.
While it is not perfect, the availability of body camera video/audio recordings represents an opportunity to make police officer's reports more factual and representative of what actually happened, not just what the officer recalls. These recordings may be used to refresh an officer's memory when they write their report and can also help explain their actions to the public, to juries and to supervisors.
In this class, officers will:
- Learn body camera legal issues and rules of evidence as they relate to inclusion into police reports and court proceedings.
- Learn about narration and shaping perspective with the recording.
- Learn how to integrate body camera recordings with their police reports.
- Learn how to use their body cameras to document different incidents and events for inclusion into their police report and for court recall later on.
- Learn how to record their observations, especially those that might not be captured by the camera.
- Learn how, when appropriate, to vocalize their thoughts on the body camera and police report.
- Learn how to capture their actions as well as others around them.
- Get a refresher and resources on basic report writing.
Officers should bring a copy of their Body Camera Policy for discussion and review.
Officers will receive a certificate of attendance at the conclusion of the class.
Lt. Joseph Thibodeau is currently in his 32nd year of Law Enforcement and a member of the North Reading MA PD. He is a Report Writing Instructor/Coordinator for the MA Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC). He has been instructing at numerous police academies and privately since 2000. He has trained thousands of reserve, recruit and veteran officers as well as supervisors in numerous disciplines to include FTO, Report Writing, Suicide Prevention, Arrest and Processing and Communication. He is considered a subject matter expert in Report Writing.
Lt. Joseph Anderson is in his 18th year of Law Enforcement and a member of the Wakefield MA Police Department. He is a Report Writing Instructor for the MA Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) and has been instructing at police academies and since 2016. He is also a Taser Instructor and in charge of the night division and also oversees much of their training to include reviewing all use of force cases for his department.
For more information or any questions email us at info@JETPST.com or call us at 978-494-0930
# People Attending
Body Camera Report Writing
This Body Camera Report Writing Class is designed for agencies that are using or will soon be using body cameras. Officers will receive a certificate of attendance at the conclusion of the class.$175.00